installing f8/hang at 'loading ata_piix' PROGRESS but now 'ata1.00 exception .... frozen'

John Minson minsonj at spawar.navy.mil
Fri Feb 1 13:16:51 UTC 2008

after fighting with the 'loading ata_piix driver' issue I managed to get
fc8 installed via a usb dvd drive . the install went fine but now when I
boot off the hd (sata) I eventually get

ata1.00 exception emask 0x0 sactt serr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

it then displays 'loading udev' and hangs

once again this problem (or some variant there of) has been reported
lots but no clear indication of what to do.
I keep seeing references to the 'libpata' module having issues