No sound after last kernel update.

Stefan Kuhlemann kuhlemann at nefkom.net
Fri Feb 1 17:59:53 UTC 2008

hackob schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> After last kernel update I have no sound in my pc, I have an Intel
> AC'97. If I do a lspci I can see the sound card, but in gnome desktop
> Sound Hardware I only have the PCM output and Modem speaker.
>
> Any idea?, tks.
>
> Hackob.

Same problem here.

After the last kernelupdate - no sound. After some testing i figured
out, that this is a permission-problem (with root I had sound).

chmod 666 /dev/dsp
and
chmod 666 /dev/mixer

gives me back the sound when working as normal user.

Sadly, I have to set those permissions after every reboot.... *grrrr*

Also:
chgrp'ing the /dev/dps and /dev/mixer to 'users' (being with my account
in the group useres of course) and chmod'ing them to 660 didn't help.....

So...

- How could I set /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer to '666-permission' permanent?
- And is there a possible security-risk in doing so?

Thanks for any help in advance

Stefan