Is a distro independent grub boot possible using a boot partition???

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 22:27:37 UTC 2008

This might not really answer your question, but there's an option you
can use to switch from one grub to another (in stage 2).

When I was switching from FC6 to F8, I installed F8 on a separate
partition (not wishing to destroy any of the old data). That included a
fresh /boot partition.
Then, I added an entry to the new /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title Fedora FC6
        root (hd0,5)
        configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

(hd0,5) was the old / partition

Since I initially installed grub to MBR, instead of partition,
chainloader directive didn't work

HTH