Evolution, Exchange, and outgoing mail: setup issues?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 04:44:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 16:18 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 14:27 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > messages
> > looked into
> > reading various faqs
> > for incomming and
> >
> > That's correct.  Any account using the Exchange-based accounts will
> > be
> > sent through the Exchange server.  There is no "outgoing" server
> > option
> > (for that matter, there's no "incoming" server option...it's all
> > Exchange).
> >
> > If you are unable to send mail via Exchange, it could be an
> > authentication issue.  There's generally two, one for incoming and
> > one
> > for outgoing (it'll ask you to authenticate when you click "Send").
> > If
> > you check the "Remember password" box before you enter that outgoing
> > authentication, it should work from then on.
> >

> Yes, it did prompt me for a password for permission to enter and scan my
> exchange account folders, and yes, I was prompted for a password when
> replying to a message or sending a new message and I did fire off a test
> message, watched it zip through "On This Computer"->outbox, but then
> nothing happened. The message was never delivered.
>
> I tried to look at the exchange logs to see if there was "permissions
> denied" or even for a delivery attempt but gave up because I couldn't
> remember how to find the logs.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated perhaps a howto link or something?
This is a wild shot into the air, but a shot ...nonetheless. Look in the
bottom left hand corner of your Evolution screen. Is there a red "X"
between two open connectors? If so, you're in local non-networking mode.
Just click on that and it should "plug in" (close) and then you're
connected to the network and mail will go out and mail will come in.
I've done that to know by now. I usually find it after a carpet chewing
session. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar