Good bye

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Feb 2 08:50:00 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
>>> If some entity in the community provided a repository containing, for
>>> example, the Nvidia drivers that many users need, could said entity get
>>> their repository configuration included in this "community based
>>> distribution" to make installation automatic?
>>
>> You do realize, that Fedora cannot do this for legal reason.
>
> Beg your pardon?  There is nothing illegal about the Nvidia drivers or
> providing the access that users need to them.

They don't have to provide access because rpm.livna.org does.
They shouldn't include them because the bottom line is they taint the
kernel.

I'll never forget the bug report I filed with a repeatable (on my end)
segmentation fault when running the grep command. Guess what was
responsible? the nvidia driver. The nvidia driver was responsible for
causing grep to segfault. the nvidia driver was responsible for a red
hat engineer taking his time to figure out what was happening. Now -
whenever I have a bug I want to report, I repeat it on a machine that
does not have any tainting modules loaded. Closed source kmods sometimes
do funky things.

Fedora should not ship any kernel modules that taint the kernel. They
can not possibly fix issues with them because they do not have access to
the source code.

Let the *user* be responsible for breaking their machine by installing
the driver. Then the issue is between the user and nVidia - not the user
and Fedora.

It is easy enough to get the drivers, it is very well documented on
several blogs and websites. Therefore, Fedora SHOULD wash their hands of
kernel tainting modules.