Good bye

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 01:04:53 UTC 2008

Michael A. Peters wrote:

>> As an OS, I'd pick OS X as the best mix of unix compatibility, user
>> friendliness, and supplying everything you need, including patented
>> technology and vendor written drivers.

> Have fun with OS X when the only machine that has any expansion slots is
> their considerably overpriced pro tower. And when you buy that
> considerably overpriced pro tower, have fun putting your existing PCI
> cards into it.
>
> Whoops! Just like they jacked users when they dropped scsi and serial
> ports, now they've jacked users by dropping normal pci slots.

Can't think of anything offhand that I wouldn't prefer to connect via
firewire, USB, or network (with the associated portability and
OS-independence of the devices).

> Also have fun with your third party sound cards when the OS updates -
> due to their closed source nature, sometimes you have to wait months
> before the vendor updates their drivers - even for the expensive high
> end sound cards, like m-audio.

What forces you to update the OS before the drivers you need are
available?  And why bring up closed source here?  Is there an open
source driver for your card at all?

> Of course, moving your expensive high end m-audio card into your new Pro
> Tower will be kind of difficult, due to the complete lack of pci slots.
> I guess with a hammer you might be able to make it fit ...

Firewire is the right answer for audio, especially if you plan to move
it around.  I'm too cheap for that so the only thing I've added is a USB
sound adapter to have a software-selectable alternate output over copper
SPDF to feed a receiver.  It doesn't specifically have a Mac driver but
works as a standard USB audio device anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com