Difference between IDE and SCSI ??

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 04:08:28 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:

> My original question was not to have someone else do my investigation
> for me, but to either give me reassurance that all three, IDE, PATA and
> SCSI are exactly the same thing and can be used interchangeably on a
> current system, or to point out where I have missed the difference and
> when I should use one term over the other.

 From a system/filesytem/user perspective they are interchangeable.  The
kernel only recently started identifying IDE's as /dev/sdX devices
(related to merging some of the SATA handling, I believe), so that part
is a little confusing.  There are physical differences that you would
have to keep straight if you had both when connecting cables and telling
your bios which to boot.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com