Does SMART know best?

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Sun Feb 3 17:01:19 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've been getting more and more serious warnings from smartd on a computer
> (one I hardly ever use, though I do use it for backups),
> eg in /var/log/messages

> As a matter of interest, could I replace this ATA/IDE disk with a SATA disk?

There are SATA/IDE and IDE/SATA adapters available, but it might
be easier to just replace the failing drive with an IDE drive.

> Incidentally, I see from smartctl that the drive
> is almost 3 years old:
> Error 20419 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 26309 hours (1096 days + 5
> hours)
> Is it mean of me to suspect that the manufacturer
> tells smart to issue these messages when the warranty is running out ...?

Most folks don't get a warning before their hard drive starts
failing and then dies completely.  You've gotten several.

You suspect that it's just planned obsolescence, that all the
warnings are a ruse to get you to buy a new drive.  Perhaps.
But don't act all surprised when you discover that the backups
on the drive are unreadable.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077