Playing DVD interfers with modem?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 06:49:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 16:20 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> >
> > Lordy Rick, I'm an old BBS sysop from back when. I have a RS Robotics
> > external with all the bells and whistles in hardware, so I'm connected
> > only by a serial cable. I'm gonna check out your suggestion about the
> > IRQ though. I sure miss setting pin jumpers. Devices generally stayed
> > where you put 'em, IRQ wise. Here's /proc/interrupts
> >
> <----------------------[snip]--------------->
> >
> > I don't see IRQ 3 or 4 listed for serial port. Do I have to gink with
> > uugetty or set serial? Is that the right place to look?? Ric
> >
> One thing I have noticed is that the IRQs will not show up unless
> something is actually using the device. For serial ports, the IRQ
> will not show up until something opens the port. Something on the
> line of if there isn't anything that is going to process it, the IRQ
> is disabled, and does not show up in the list.
>
> I don't know if it will help, but you may want to check with
> setserial to see if it is detecting the correct UART type. You can
> also try adjusting the FIFO settings. If the driver is treating the
> UART as if it does not have a FIFO, or if the FIFO settings are
> wrong, then the serial port will generate too many interrupts. It is
> possible that it is generating one interrupt per character
> sent/received.

# setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

Looks good. Man, it's been awhile since back when I managed 4 modems
each on two machines for my BBS. That route was cheaper than those
specialty serial cards. Worked like a dream. Didn't have DvD's back then
either. Gonna try playing "Time Bandits" and send this email!

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar