Can't get photos from camera -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Feb 5 13:19:47 UTC 2008

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:49:07 +0100, Andras Simon wrote:
>

>> On 2/4/08, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>>
>>> gphoto2 is giving me the following error messages.  I used it a few
>>> days ago with a different camera and it worked without a hitch.
>>>

>>>         gphoto2 --get-all-files
>>>

>>>         *** Error ***
>>>         PTP I/O error
>>>
>>>         *** Error ***
>>>         An error occurred in the io-library ('Unspecified error'):
>>>         Could not query kernel driver of device.
>>>         *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***
>>>
>>>         For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
>>>         Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
>>>         If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
>>>         developer mailing list <gphoto-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>,
>>>         please run
>>>         gphoto2 as follows:
>>>
>>>             env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=my-logfile.txt
>>>         --get-all-files
>>>
>>>         Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the
>>>         arguments.
>>>
>>> Man gphoto2 is not much help or perhaps beyond my comprehension.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>>
>> I ran into the same problem a few days ago and got around it by starting
>> gphoto2 as root. I know it's only a temporary solution, but I hope it
>> works for you, too.
>>
>> Andras
>>

> I have the same problem. I found a fix that worked, then probably after
> one of the updates or for whatever reason it didn't work anymore. Here's
> the fix anyway:
>
> You must have a file /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules
>
> To create one, as root
>
> cd /usr/lib/libgphoto2
> ./print-camera-list udev-rules version 0.98 mode 666 owner root group
> users > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules # one line.

I did as you describe and it did create
/etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules.

However I borrowed the camera from my grandson and don't have it to test
with now.

I was panicing because I wanted the photo of the VIN on a car I need to
register and ran out of time to do that yesterday.  My daughter
extracted the files on her Mac this morning and I made the desired copies.

So it's a non-problem until the next time.

By the way I should have mentioned this computer runs F-7.

Thanks for the help.

Bob Goodwin