USB external hard drive disconnecting

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Wed Feb 6 00:07:11 UTC 2008

2008/2/5 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:

> Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
> > On Feb 5, 2008 10:53 AM, Rick Stevens <rstevens at internap.com> wrote:
> >> If it's plugged into a USB hub, check that as well.
> >
> > I'm impressed how much info I forgot to include.  It's just plugged
> > directly into the computer.  I've even tried front and rear ports,
> > just in case.
> >
> > So far, plugging directly into the UPS instead of the computer had no
> > effect.  I'm trying a different USB cable now, and so far so good.
> > It's only been a few minutes, but in the past it's failed in a minute
> > or so....
> >
> > Thanks everyone for the feedback!
> >
> > Reid
> >
> Let us know if the cable was the problem.
>
> Do not worry about the things you didn't think to include in your
> original message. When you are not sure how to troubleshoot the
> problem, it is hard to know what information is needed.
>
> One advantage to lists like this one is that you get more people
> looking at the problem, and one person's question can give a hint to
> someone else about where to look for the problem. Troubleshooting is
> often a team effort.

True enough!  Another person privately mailed me, suggesting I run
sdparm periodically to prevent the drive from going asleep.  Before
trying that, though, I'm just using the new USB cable.  It's been okay
for several hours now, so maybe that was indeed the problem.  I will
keep an eye on things and followup here with what I think is the final
verdict in a day or two.

Thanks to everyone once again.
Reid