x264 RPM installed/not installed

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Wed Feb 6 02:43:48 UTC 2008

> On 06/02/2008, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I understand that, but the thing is that the updates just completed
>> are from livna, so that includes mencoder and mplayer. And as I
>> mentioned after uninstalling x264 with yum the livna package was
>> installed for x264 so this should have solved the problem shouldn't it?
>> So when I go checking to see what is installed via cmd yum I should see
>> livna x264 installed shouldn't I? So why do I see the freshrpms one
>> instead? Especially seeing as I uninstalled it!
>>

> Instead of trying to sum up what you did and saw, better post the
> complete terminal session, input and output. The paragraph above is
> much too vague.

I belive that the crux of the problem is this:

The naming of the x264 package from Fedora makes yum think that it's newer
than the x264 package from Livna.

Until either Livna updates the name of their package to indicate that it's
newer than Fedora's, or Fedora provides an x264 package that includes
libx264.so.56 (instead of libx264.so.54), I've found that the easiest way
to work around this issue is to use this yum command:

yup update --exclude x264

Voila!!!  Yum updates the system, but ignores the x264 package.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS