USB external hard drive disconnecting

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Wed Feb 6 04:43:47 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 5:07 PM, Reid Rivenburgh <reidr at pobox.com> wrote:
> True enough!  Another person privately mailed me, suggesting I run
> sdparm periodically to prevent the drive from going asleep.  Before
> trying that, though, I'm just using the new USB cable.  It's been okay
> for several hours now, so maybe that was indeed the problem.  I will
> keep an eye on things and followup here with what I think is the final
> verdict in a day or two.

For those following my saga: Something just went wrong again.  I got a
bunch of "rejecting I/O to dead device" messages, as well as a lot of
"new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 65" (the number
varies).  It's unusual this time in that it's not just reconnecting
immediately, instead showing that message.  Does that mean anything to
anyone?  It looks like the ehci_hcd messages will go on forever, so I
guess I will unplug it or power cycle it and hope it comes back.  I
guess the next thing to try is calling sdparm in a cron job, as one
person suggested.

Reid