Brodcom 43 Failing of FC8

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Feb 6 10:08:52 UTC 2008

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Terry Polzin wrote:

> > > Hi Mike,
> > >
> > > You need to grab this file:
> > >
> > > http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
> > >
> > > Extract and then do
> > >
> > > []# b43-fwcutter
> > > -w /lib/firmware/ /path/to/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod/wl_apsta.o
> > >
> > > This is what brought my BCM4306 to life.
> >
> > not to sound repetitive, but my wiki page has a fairly reliable set of
> > instructions that have worked for me.
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8
>
> Robert & list:
>
> I've followed the instructions on your wiki to no avail. (yesterday)
> Today booting 1 kernel back everything seems to load.

???.  so your current kernel didn't work, but the previous one did?
curious.  if you followed those instructions in the wiki, and did the
associated debugging commands, at any point did you not get the
expected output?  i'm just curious at what step things went wrong.

> Now to jump right in and get wep running.
> What does your /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant look like.

i didn't do anything with wpa_supplicant.  my goal on that page was
to, absolutely minimally, get wireless working.  once that's verified
to work, any extra customization beyond that is just gravy, so that
why i stop where i did.  but maybe i should write some more, just for
the heck of it.

rday

p.s.  based on really recent developments, i'm willing to believe that
some content on that wiki page is already out of date.  if it is, feel
free to let me know.

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca