setting up mail and/or sendmail to use third party SMTP gateway.

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Wed Feb 6 19:46:24 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: setting up mail and/or sendmail to use third party SMTP gateway.
From: RThimble at century-bank.com
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Date: 02/06/2008 12:28 PM

> Everyone,
>
> I have been getting bogged down and confused with the documentation on
> setting up mail to send to a SMTP gateway. The problem is there is no
> internal MX record(s) in DNS and we will not be adding any. I want to send
> output  to my corporate email account from our snort sensors when rules
> are changed through oinkmaster. Any ideas on where I can start would be
> useful.
>
> Thank you

What I think you want to do is setup your local sendmail to usea a
"smart relay host" This can be accomplished two ways:

edit /etc/mail/sendmail/cf and look for:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

and change it to

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.mydomain.com

then issue the command "service sendmail restart"

That is the easiest way. The "better" way is to edit the file:
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc and find:

dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
dnl #
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl
dnl #

and change it to:

define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.mydomain.com')dnl

Note the quotes are ` and '

Then issue the command "make restart"

You would, of course, change "mail.mydomain.com" to the name of your
local smtp server.