installing source rpm packages (.src.rpm) via yum and yumex?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 6 22:49:48 UTC 2008

> Gabriel M. Elder wrote:
>
> > So... what am I missing here, folks? Is it possible to install a source
> > rpm from a source repo via yum or yumex? If so, how? Has this capability
> > just not been implemented yet? Or should i just wget what i need and
> > forget about using yum to fetch sources?
>
> # yum install yum-utils
> # yumdownloader --source kernel
>
> Otherwise
>
> # yum install yum-downloadonly
>
> # yum install --download-only kernel
>
> Rahul

One learns something new every day. Lets be clear. You are saying that
yum install --download-only kernel
will, not only download a source kernel but run the equvalent of
rpm -i  x.src.rom -> spec file
rpmbuild -bb ->  binary rpm
and rpm -i  -> install the binary rpm.

All of life is a blur of Republicans and meat!
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net