Graphics tablets and Fedora 8

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Feb 7 20:50:53 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 23:11 +0100, Anders Karlsson wrote:
>> What about keyboards then, "Natural" keyboard or something like
>> Kinesis contoured keyboard? Would that help as well?
>
> I recently bought one of the old 2000 comfort curve keyboards from the
> evil empire.  I can say that it's nicer to type on than the usual
> keyboards, but only if you use two hands.  Trying to do it single
> handed, as you may while taking notes on the phone, you find the curve
> works against you.
>
> When buying a keyboard, you need to try them out first.  Some don't have
> enough travel in the keys, others too many.  Some have sharp edges to
> all the keys, better ones don't.  Many of the expensive keyboards aren't
> better, they just have more useless buttons added.  And you'll find many
> are useless for high speed typing - without a significant gap between
> pressing one key and the next, it mashes things up.  You see letters
> appearing that you didn't type, or it misses some out.
>
> The last time I found a decent keyboard, I bought three.  That'll keep
> me from having to do all the shopping around for a long time.

Like you, I purchased a Microsoft keyboard for use and love it.

I also second the Expert Mouse from Kensington.  I have had one for over
5 years and only had to replace one microswitch so far.  The kids cannot
wreck it, even after my son used to take the ball and play with it.  :)

Just purchased the same for work.

I find I can work with the natrual keyboard for more hours than my Dell
keyboard.  My wife hates it.

Note, it takes time to get used to a natural keyboard if you are a
serious touch typist.

--
Robin Laing