Problem with Matlab and Fedora 7-X_64

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Feb 7 22:24:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:20:46 -0500
"Brent Snow, Mr." <brent.snow at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

>             We have recently acquired a server with 2 Intel Xeon
> quad-core processors (8 processors in total) , 16 GB of RAM, and 500GB
> of Hard Disk. It is running Fedora 7 X-64. It has all of its updates and
> is working ok, other than an annoyance of not being able to forward X-11
> via SSH, even though it is turned on in the sshd_config file.   The

You need ssh -Y to forward X, ssh by default assumes that the client
user doesn't wish to expose X access remotely.

> problem is when I try and install Matlab, on this system it is reporting
> the following error
>

> "error while loading shared libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory"

yum search libXp ..

libXp.x86_64 : X.Org X11 libXp runtime library
libXp-devel.i386 : X.Org X11 libXp development package
libXp.i386 : X.Org X11 libXp runtime library

yum install ..

If matlab is i386 the i386 one should work fine.