argh -- can't get wireless in someone else's house

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Feb 8 14:07:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Alan J. Gagne wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i'm embarrassed to admit that i can't, for the life of me, get a
> > wireless connection at a friend's house at the moment.  updated fedora
> > 8, and a stock linksys WRT54GL.  i have the SSID, i have the WEP key,
> > i even have the router password, so i've logged in and checked
> > everything -- no MAC filtering, no DHCP client limit, etc.
> >
> >   but when i try to bring up wireless, /var/log/messages shows me:
> >
> > Feb  8 08:37:59 localhost dhclient: wmaster0: unknown hardware address type
> > 801
> > Feb  8 08:37:59 localhost dhclient: wmaster0: unknown hardware address type
> > 801
> > Feb  8 08:37:59 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255
> > port 67 interval 8
> > Feb  8 08:38:07 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255
> > port 67 interval 11
> > Feb  8 08:39:00 localhost dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
> >
> >   i can certainly see the WAP:
> >
> > # iwlist wlan0 scan
> > Cell 02 - Address: 00:18:39:6A:01:EF
> >                     ESSID:"XXXXXXXX"
> >                     Mode:Master
> >                     Channel:6
> >                     Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
> >                     Quality=83/100 Signal level=-46 dBm  Noise level=-67 dBm
> >                     Encryption key:on
> >                     Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
> >                               24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
> >                               12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
> >

> >   i'm pretty much out of ideas here -- any thoughts?
> >
> > rday
> >
> I get the exact same situation at home with my linksys router
> (probably not router related) when I do not have broadcast ssid on.
> Start broadcating the ssid and I make a connection no problem.

it's already broadcasting.

rday

p.s.  one of the other people here is gleefully making fun of me since
she has a winders system that connects no problem.  this is not the
time for me to be evangelizing about the benefits of OSS, trust me.
:-)

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca