bootchart confuses me more...

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 03:51:20 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> After installing bootchart and booting my system both
> with and without the external USB drive plugged in,
> I'm more confused than ever about why things are slow:
>
> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/boot-with-usb.png
> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/boot-no-usb.png
>
> As near as I can tell, these charts mean my system is
> just sitting there like a lump for the first 18
> seconds doing absolutely nothing (with or without the
> USB drive I thought it might be waiting to spin up).
>
> Lots of the sample charts on the www.bootchart.org
> web site don't have these big empty gaps up front.
> I'm jealous :-).

I don't know why your nash sleeps for so long.. it's most likely a bug.
Meanwhile, you have 3 other big sleeps:
* ifup-eth (network card acquiring info from DHCP)
* ntpdate (time sync with network)
* S99local/sleep (not sure what that is)

If you get rid of these, you'll shave off ~12 seconds from your boot time ;)

HTH