f8 sound is driving me crazy.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 9 06:46:54 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam:
>> Now the trouble starts. All the usual CD players claim they cannot
>> find a sound source on the CD. The only one that works so far is
>> grip.

Paulo Cavalcanti:
> Grip needs a cable connecting the drive to the sound card.

No, it does not.  I've never used Grip in a manner where it rips sound
through the sound card.  So, if it *can* do that, it's an optional way
of running it.  All my ripping has been done by reading the *data* from
disc, digitally.

The only thing that I do, here, that makes use of the audio lead from
the drive to the sound card, has been playing a CD using the gnome-cd
player program.

If you go through the configuration options for Grip, the "rip"
configuration parts give you several options for how to do the ripping.
Aaron, you should post back saying which options it uses that's working.
It may help in resolving the issue.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386