how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 21:42:38 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:

>>> Or, if the 1TB isn't quite full or the data will compress a bit, you can
>>> find external 750GB drives even cheaper.  I'd get a couple of these,
>>> compress the data, and rotate them offsite.
>>>
>>> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11219355
>>>

>> I asked for a backup to DVDs, I need a cheap solution for chunks of
>> 50GB every month.
>
> Do you have cheap labor?  Otherwise DVD's are only going to be cheap if

Labor is not an issue. Server is in my house and I can put in new blank
dvds as needed while I do other work. I used to be a pirate so that is
how I earned spending money when I was a kid :) Now I know better :)

> you don't have to wait for them to complete, so you'll need some disk
> holding space to accumulate the backup contents and chunk it up into

Space is an issue, I would prefer some way of directly burning without
duplicating space needed for a dvd. Or one dvd a time would work also,
but a copy of all files would not work for me.

> appropriately-sized pieces anyway.  Do you need the DVD copies in a form
> you can directly access (if the individual files will fit that way), or
> would a tar file chopped into pieces work?

Best would be if files would be directly accessible but tar files would
work also.

And are there any other
> options, like other networked machines where automated copies could be
> done?

No.

Thank you for your effort Mikesell!

Valent.