how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Feb 10 01:00:00 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 19:34 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Saturday 09 February 2008, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > How would you backup [50GB] of data in a server with 4x 250GB drives all
> > mounted as separate mount points to a set of dvds using tools
> > available in fedora, centos or rhel?
>
> I can't believe the arrogance of some on the list.  You asked a specific
> question, and people questioned your question.  Yuck.
----
we all see things through our own lenses and mathematically it is
impractical to consider backing up 1,000 units in 4.5 unit chunks when
so many other mechanisms exist that can chunk in much larger increments.
That of course ignores the time factor. Clearly it is not unusual to get
the answers that he got simply because our lenses always consider
practicality and his question didn't make it clear enough that he wasn't
at all concerned with practicality.

I did suggest bacula because I know it is capable of doing what he asked
but I can't in all honesty suggest that it is a practical solution to
backing up a 1 Tb of data onto DVD's.

Perhaps you are confusing the notion that those who answered his
question with practical assertions were demonstrating concern over the
premise of practicality and not arrogance.
----

> In any case, check out scdbackup (
> http://scdbackup.webframe.org/main_eng.html )
> and see if it does what you want.  Looks like you will need to build from
> source as I didn't find an F8 RPM; but, then again, I didn't search too hard,
> either.
>
> Really people, why not try answering people's questions?  He wants to backup
> to DVD; while that might not be the best backup solution it is what he wants
> to use. It appears that scdbackup is the tool of choice for this sort of
> thing.  If he had wanted to know about or have a discussion about backup best
> practices, he would have asked that question instead.
----
see above...and I'm not familiar with scdbackup but I am familiar with
bacula, which is why I recommended it. I also note that the Cubs will
win the World Series before I ever attempt to backup 1 Tb of data onto
DVD's

Craig