Burn CD from Command Line?

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 09:13:38 UTC 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 4:29 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 05:37 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > --- Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > doing
> > > and
> > > then
> > > which
> > >
> > > I thought that the GPL was rather Catholic; once
> > > GPL, always GPL?
> > > Which is now GPL, cdrecord or wodim? Ric
> > >
> > wodim/cdrkit is GPL
> >
> > cdrecord(cdrtools) moved to CDDL license
> >
> > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html
> >
> > http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cddl1.php
> >
> > You may read more about the controversy(sies)
> > surrounding the issues:
> >
> > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
> >
> > http://www.cdrkit.org/
> >
> > I believe since the license was changed, then so the
> > new cdrkit was created which has
> > wodim/icedax/genisomage.
>
> Thanks for the info! Will yum update all of this or do I have to remove
> cdrecord first? I just checked, I do have it installed. I just checked
> again, I do not have cdrkit installed. (rpm -qa |grep cdrkit)
> Thank again for bringing this to our attention. Ric

The author claims that cdrkit is buggy and based on an old version of
cdrtools.
He always defended that burning should be done as root, and that cdrecord
should be made suid.

That is the same thing k3b suggests, but Fedora has suppressed its system
checking during compilation,
right?

In my case, I make cdrdao and cdrecord (wodim) suid (4755), but I am using
cdrkit.

For burning an iso image using cdrecord (a symbolic link to wodim), just do:

cdrecord -v -eject speed=24 dev=/dev/cdrom some_file.iso

Works just fine.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ