Sound output across the network possibility

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 19:13:15 UTC 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 4:05 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:

> Stewart Williams wrote:
> > Sorry if this has been asked before, but I thought someone may know the
> > exact answer quickly.
> >
> > Computer A = Fedora 8
> > Computer B = Fedora 8
> >
> > On Computer A I have headphones connected to my speaker jack and is
> > where I listen to my music. However, I store also music on Computer B
> > and have no speakers connected to the soundcard.
> >
> > What I want to know is, is it possible to say double click on an mp3
> > file on Computer B and have it output the sound through my network to
> > the headphones connected on Computer A's soundcard?
> >
> > And also (not essential) is this also possible if Computer A is running
> > Windows?
>
> Have you looked into VideoLan?  [ http://www.videolan.org/ ]
>
>  From their website:
>
>    It is a free cross-platform media player
>    It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need
> for additional codecs
>    It can also be used as a streaming server, with extended features
> (video on demand, on the fly transcoding, ...)
>
> I'm a complete yutz wrt multimedia and Linux but VideoLan has given my
> desktop life.  Just for the heckuvit I've run multiple instances so I
> could listen to songs "in the round".
>
> It runs very nicely on a 1G 512 white box.
>
> Highly recommended.

My preferred network applications for mp3:

ampache
mpd/phpMp
icecast/ices0

They can also brodcast to the outside world, if you wish (to your work, e.g
.).

And pulseaudio definitely works in a local network.

But ampache is "hors concours". It is far just the best of all.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ