Read Apple hard drive -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 11 15:27:35 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 09:22 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>>     I have a hard drive removed from my daughters Power Mac G4 plugged
>>     into an F-8 computer.  fdisk sees it as /dev/sdb but that's about as
>>     far is it goes, nothing relative to file type, etc.
>>
>>     Is it possible to get a directory listing or extract any data from
>>     it in the Fedora computer.  I suspect not, but thought I would ask?
>>
> ----
> fdisk -l /dev/sdb
>
> will list all of the partitions and if I recall correctly, there are a
> few partitions on an Apple HFS drive.
>
> One of them will be large and that's the one you will want to mount.
> Note that in the past, if the last mount was a dirty dismount, I was
> unable to mount it in anything but read only mode.
>
> Crai

Fdisk tells me there's no valid partition table.  I removed and replaced
this drive because it has been erratic and the Mac shop told her it was
defective and it's total failure was imminent!

I can however mount it as Ian suggests and I can display and navigate
through the directories.

I did not know about hfsplus and that was the key to getting this far.
She still has a few files on it she would like to retrieve if possible.
I don't know which ones however but being able to get this far
encourages me.  She may be looking for image files that I might be able
to get to?  She is not here presently but at least I wont look like a
complete idiot if I ask what she needs from it.

Thanks all.

Bob Goodwin