Sharing printers between Fedora machines

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Mon Feb 11 17:01:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 17:34 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 22:33 -0800, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > While I thought this was a simple task, it seems that I am clueless.
> >
> > I attempted to share my desktop printer for other PC's in the house
> > and I can't seem to figure out how to attach to the printers.  It
> > doesn't seem clear from system-config-printer what I am supposed to do
> > and my google for "fedora printer share how to" didn't really give me
> > anything useful.
> >
> > Am I missing something obvious that is supposed to make sharing
> > between Fedora machines painless?
>
> Say which version of Fedora you're playing with, it'll affect the advice
> you receive.  In the past, I've done this from FC4 through to 7.  It
> wasn't much more than the following to get it going:

The machine sharing the printer is running F8 and the machine connecting
is F8 as well.

> Set up a printer on one computer, allow it to be shared (the CUPS
> webserver at http://localhost:631/ gives you one way to do all of
> this).
>
> Make sure the firewall isn't in the way (I added the "icp" port, using
> "tcp", on the print server's firewall).

The firewall is disable on both machines and they are both on a local
network, 192.168.X.X

> Make sure CUPS is running on all computers, and the clients will find
> the server by themselves.  If all goes well, you wouldn't have to do any
> configuration on the clients, unless you had more than one printer, and
> wanted to choose which was the default.

Cups is running on both machines and the printer reports as shared in
system-config-printer.

When I try to setup the printer on the second machine, what should I be
looking for?

Sean