Sharing printers between Fedora machines

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 11 17:24:53 UTC 2008

On Monday 11 February 2008, Sean Bruno wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 17:34 +1030, Tim wrote:
>> On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 22:33 -0800, Sean Bruno wrote:
>> > While I thought this was a simple task, it seems that I am clueless.
>> >
>> > I attempted to share my desktop printer for other PC's in the house
>> > and I can't seem to figure out how to attach to the printers.  It
>> > doesn't seem clear from system-config-printer what I am supposed to do
>> > and my google for "fedora printer share how to" didn't really give me
>> > anything useful.
>> >
>> > Am I missing something obvious that is supposed to make sharing
>> > between Fedora machines painless?
>>
>> Say which version of Fedora you're playing with, it'll affect the advice
>> you receive.  In the past, I've done this from FC4 through to 7.  It
>> wasn't much more than the following to get it going:
>
>The machine sharing the printer is running F8 and the machine connecting
>is F8 as well.
>
>> Set up a printer on one computer, allow it to be shared (the CUPS
>> webserver at http://localhost:631/ gives you one way to do all of
>> this).
>>
>> Make sure the firewall isn't in the way (I added the "icp" port, using
>> "tcp", on the print server's firewall).
>
>The firewall is disable on both machines and they are both on a local
>network, 192.168.X.X
>
>> Make sure CUPS is running on all computers, and the clients will find
>> the server by themselves.  If all goes well, you wouldn't have to do any
>> configuration on the clients, unless you had more than one printer, and
>> wanted to choose which was the default.
>
>Cups is running on both machines and the printer reports as shared in
>system-config-printer.
>
>When I try to setup the printer on the second machine, what should I be
>looking for?
>
>Sean

 couple of things come to mind.  Can you see these printers at
http:/localhost:631?
If not, use that web page to redefine the printers by following the menu items
to modify or add the printers.  Use the IPP:// style addressing.

If yes, then can you see them at http://fqdn:631?

if not the latter, make sure the /etc/hosts files are uptodate for all
machines, somewhat resembling this, from my kubuntu box in the now freezing
workshop building:

gene at shop:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost shop
192.168.XX.1 router.coyote.den router
192.168.XX.3 coyote.coyote.den coyote
192.168.XX.4 shop.coyote.den shop

There may be some ip6 stuffs appended by the installer too.

If, while working on that emc driver box, I need to print anything, its plumb
normal, kprinter on that box can see everything I have defined on this box
and use it.  I just need to traipse back in here to retrieve the printout.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)