Read Apple hard drive -

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Feb 11 17:25:24 UTC 2008

Ian Astley wrote:

> This augurs well for being able to dump her data files to a temporary
> directory on your hard disk. You can then try repairing the disk --
> drastic measures might involve erasing the disk by re-formatting it as
> ext3 and using
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1
>
> to work the whole disk, then re-partitioning to your taste (needless to
> say there will not be much left on the disk after this lot, pretty much
> zero in fact ;-) ). You might also use smartctl at this point. I have
> done similar things with a disk which was playing up and it has worked
> fine since.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ian

No need to format it ext3. If you want to zero out the drive, you
can use "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb" and it will overwrite the
partition table, and all data on the drive. (It is not a secure erase.)

I have found that running the tools from the drive manufacturer is
often a better choice, as it can test the drive, and remap bad
sectors, as well as giving you an idea if it is worth trying to use
the drive. If it fails their test, don't bother.

Mikkel