LVM and grub

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Feb 11 21:15:14 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 11 February 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>> With /boot on its own partition, Grub does not need to access the
>>> root partition. This is good because Grub does not understand LVM.
>>> The thing you have to remember when using a separate /boot partition
>>> is that the paths that Grub uses do not start with /boot. You would
>>> use something like:
>>>
>>> title Fedora (2.6.23.14-115.fc8)
>>>          root (hd0,2)
>>>          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.14-115.fc8 ro
>>> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>>>          initrd /initrd-2.6.23.14-115.fc8.img
>>>
>>> As far as Grub is concerned, your /boot directory is its root
>>> directory. This is what the root (hd0,2) is telling Grub.
>> My problem was that root=/dev/VolGroup00/... was not found,
>> since LVM was not active at at that point.
>> The boot started, but failed with "/dev/root not found".
>>
> Huh?  I've been booting with exactly that command line argument for quite some
> time now.  Year (how old is FC6?) or more.  Perhaps your hd(0,2) is too far
> into the disk and the bios is having problems?  One of the many reasons
> the /boot partition is the first one here, and something in the back of my
> mind says it cannot be a directory within an LVM, but must be a separate
> partition.

The message would be about the kernel or the initrd not being found,
or Grub failing completely if the /boot partition was too far in.
This sounds more like a problem with the initrd not having LVM
support, or that root is not on VolGroup00/VolGroup00.

The output of "parted /dev/sda print" would help. So would the
output of lvs.

According to the Grub info page, there is supposed to be a way to
use Grub with /boot on a LVM, but you lose the ability to just edit
the menu, or change kernels, without re-running grub-install. You
don't use a stage 1.5 and Grub loses the ability to read the file
system when booting. It preforms a lot like LILO does. I would not
recommend it for the average user.

Mikkel