mod_ssl or openssl?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:07:41 UTC 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 3:54 PM, David Jansen <jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:23:16PM +0100, Alain Spineux wrote:
> > On Feb 11, 2008 1:07 PM, David Jansen <jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> > > A weird question, but when contacting my internet provider to purchase an
> > > SSL certificate through them, they asked whether it should be for
> > > Apache mod_ssl or for Apache + openssl.
> > > But as far as I can see from the apache documentation and output eg from
> > > phpinfo, apache is linked against openssl and mod_ssl is loaded (and
> > > running ldd on mod_ssl.so shows me, that that too is linked to the
> > > openssl libraries, as I expected)
> > >
> > > So, what does the question from my provider mean, and how can I figure
> > > out which type of SSL my server needs?
> >
> > Maybe the 3 first link can help you to make the diff between both.
>
> I'm sorry, which link are you refering to?

Sorry

http://www.rapidssl.com/ssl-certificate-support/install-ssl-certificate/index.htm

They are link for creating and link for installing on the left

> > Do you know, You cangenerate self signed certificate yourself ?
> > Their is lot of howto on the web.
>
> yes I know, and I have done that in the past. But how does that help me?

Pay will not help you more !

> generating a self signed certificate is done using openssl, but does
> that mean that openssl is the proper choice?

Creating a certificate request, or a pair of public/private keys are
also done using openssl,
You need to provide a certificate request or at least a public key to
get a signed certificate!

mod_ss, openssl, TLS are all using the same "technology", this is the same base.

> It might just mean that the person at my isp who asked this question is
> rather clueless on what he is actually selling. Wouldn't be the first time...
>
> David Jansen
>

> > Regards
> >

> > > System is Fedora 7, but I'm happy to upgrade if that makes any
> > > difference, with apache version httpd-2.2.6-1.fc7.i386
> > >
> > > David Jansen
> > >

> --

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com