mod_ssl or openssl?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:15:11 UTC 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 7:51 AM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> Alain Spineux wrote:
> > On Feb 11, 2008 1:07 PM, David Jansen <jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> >> A weird question, but when contacting my internet provider to purchase an
> >> SSL certificate through them, they asked whether it should be for
> >> Apache mod_ssl or for Apache + openssl.
> >> But as far as I can see from the apache documentation and output eg from
> >> phpinfo, apache is linked against openssl and mod_ssl is loaded (and
> >> running ldd on mod_ssl.so shows me, that that too is linked to the
> >> openssl libraries, as I expected)
> >>
> >> So, what does the question from my provider mean, and how can I figure
> >> out which type of SSL my server needs?
> >
> > Maybe the 3 first link can help you to make the diff between both.
> >
> > Do you know, You cangenerate self signed certificate yourself ?
> > Their is lot of howto on the web.
> >

> Yes - and every time I visit his https website I'll get a notification
> that the certificate isn't from a recognized authority ... on more than
> one occasion that has resulted in me not spending money at a vendors
> website.

To avoid this, you have two choice.
Register/trust the certificate in you browser or register the CA you used to
signe the certificate (useful if you have to use multiple certificate
for different
purposes or if you will have to update your certificate often).

To make the registration easy, you can link your certificate from your cite.
Click on the link and you browser will ask you if you want to register
the certificate.

> --

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com