List stats redone

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Feb 12 14:53:50 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I fail to see that having the e-mail address on the list is a problem
> since it appears on everyones posting (except Tim's). Why would someone
> post to the list if they did not want to enable people to communicate
> with them.
> Any vicious spammer could do what Tom Cameron has done to get the e-mail
> addresses. Has anyone noticed that spammers are a problem using
> addresses from this list?

The objection some people have is that it puts all the addresses in
one place, making it easy for SPAMers to harvest them. I am not sure
how much it matters, as the script shows how easy it is to harvest
them from the mailing list. Now, a smart SPAMMer would avoid
harvesting the addresses from this list. It would increase the
reports to correct ISPs, and increase the ods you are going to end
up in one of the SPAM filter lists. You are also more lickly to be
blocked by SPAM filters.

I tried a simple SED filter to remove the e-mail addresses, and
leave the names, but it results in a few blank names, and a couple
of e-mail addresses in the list. Replace the awk command with:

Mikkel