wireless connection to a wireless printer?

Jan Brosius jan.brosius at skynet.be
Tue Feb 12 19:45:53 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Jan Brosius wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> Ok - because you can get the printer GUI, you may be able to connect
>>> from CUPS. Go to http://localhost:631 and add a printer. For the
>>> connection URI, try ipp://192.168.1.6:631/ipp - chances are the
>>> printer supports IPP. (The /ipp may be wrong, but it is a common
>>> print queue designation.)
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>> No it doesn't work. I read the reviews before buying and someone said
>> he has created a wireless connection with this printer. He used
>> Ubuntu Linux.
>>
>> Thanks anyway for helping
>>
>> Jan
>>
> See if you can find how he configured CUPS to use the printer. You
> have a wireless connection to the printer because you can connect to
> its web page. But without the printer manual, it is hard to know what
> protocols it supports. If it supports lpr or IPP, then you need to
> know what the print queue names are. If it only supports Windows print
> sharing, then you have to tell CUPS that. This should be in the
> printer manual.
>
> Mikkel
Thanks, I remembered that I installed hplip which gave me a hp device
manager gui. It couldn't find the device automatically but it gave me
the opportunity to manually insert the address of the printer which was
192.168.1.6. From then on everything worked flawlesly. Thanks to all you
gave me the insight I needed.

Jan