kernel problem?? Or is it me??

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 13 11:01:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 00:54 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> I spotted Tim's post where he posted
> [tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
> 2.6.23.14-64.fc7 i686 i386

Prior kernel:  2.6.23.14-64.fc7
My processor:  i686 (Intel Pentium Centrino family)
Hardware platform:  i386 (family, my computer is generically i386)

> So, in monkey see monkey do fashion I did the same
> and I got:
> [wayward4now at iam ~]# uname -ipr
> 2.6.23.15-80.fc7 athlon i386

Current kernel:  2.6.23.15-80.fc7
Your processor:  athlon
Hardware platform:  i386

Clue:  Since man uname doesn't detail what the output format is, just
the options you can use, separately do "uname -r", "uname -p", "uname
-i" to see what parts answer what options.

> I don't see i686 in there. But the rpm that I scarfed from Koji's site
> was: kernel-2.6.23.15-80.fc7.i686.rpm

If you look at the repos, they segregate packages into i386 (and
better), or 64 bit.  They don't have a separate i386 and special i686
packages for everything, just some things that it would be a benefit
for.  In this case, it seems i586 is the lowest kernel package.  And
i386 being the generic platform descriptor for all the 32 bit stuff.

> Just wondering where my i686 has gotten to or if "athlon" sez all

If you'd had uname -m, you'd have seen i686.  That's my take on things,
at least.

I put that signature in so that, hopefully, each message identifies what
the machine is running on, in case it's helpful for any diagnosis.  It's
a script that runs uname, and puts the results into the email, it's not
boilerplate, so I never have to update it.  The script is something like
the following:

#!/bin/bash
# Evolution automatic signature script
echo "<div>-- br>"
uname -ipr
echo "</div>"

And my boilerplate stuff is another echo "<p>" block of commands.

Evolution uses HTML in editing, even if the posting will end up being
plain text, hence using HTML to get the line breaks in the right places.
The mail program does the conversion before sending.

And before anybody asks, the machine is called "bigblack" because it's
inside a big black box.  There are no naughty connotations in the
name...  ;-)

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.