from x86_64 only back to i386 support

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Feb 14 08:02:45 UTC 2008

After the mention earlier today of putting i386 support back into a Fedora 8
installation after having removed all i386 rpms, I decided to try it and see
what happens.  Scientific experimentation and all that....

I removed the exclude line from my yum.conf and typed "yum install firefox.i386"

I got a list of 77 rpms to download (all i386) and said to proceed.

After downloading, I got this:

QUOTE:
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
Package devhelp needs libgtkembedmoz.so()(64bit), this is not available.
Package yelp needs libgtkembedmoz.so()(64bit), this is not available.
Package yelp needs libxpcom_core.so()(64bit), this is not available.
Package java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin needs libxpcom.so()(64bit), this is not
available. Package devhelp needs libxpcom.so()(64bit), this is not available.
Package yelp needs libxpcom.so()(64bit), this is not available.
Package devhelp needs gecko-libs = 1.8.1.12, this is not available.
Package yelp needs gecko-libs = 1.8.1.12, this is not available.
Complete!
END OF QUOTE

I then created a list of all of the i386 rpms on another of my F8 computers,
this one an x86_64 installation that I had never removed the i386 rpms from.

I did this to create the list:

rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}.%{ARCH}\n" | grep -v 'x86_64\|noarch\|gpg-pubkey' > list

I then copied that list to my x86_64-only computer and did this:

yum -y install $(cat list)

And after running through the whole list of packages, I got this error:

QUOTE
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: control-center-filesystem = 1:2.20.1-5.fc8 is needed
by package control-center
END OF QUOTE

On my "other computer" where I got the list of i386 rpms from, I see that I
have two versions of  control-center-filesystem, as you see here:

QUOTE:
$ rpm -q control-center-filesystem
control-center-filesystem-2.20.1-5.fc8
control-center-filesystem-2.20.3-2.fc8