x86_64/i386

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Feb 14 16:46:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:25:55AM +0100, Andrea Mastellone wrote:
> Fran?ois Patte wrote:
> >
> >I think that this should *not* be the default unless everything x86_64
> >and i386 will work in the same way. This is now far from being achieved:
> >you cannot have all plugins or extensions working in firefox 64bits and
> >it is better to install i386 versions.

Nothing in the new yum or yum-basearchonly prevents you from doing
so.  It merely doesn't install both .x86_64 and .i386 packages by default.

> you are absolutely right. In facts, I have just removed all ?86 packages
> in a 64 bit system (Fedora 8).
>
> I cannot use no more the following applications (due to the dependence
> on 32 bit libraries):
>
> - flash plugin from Adobe (workaround: gnash but it works at 40% , not
> with youtube :( )
>
> - Adobe Reader (not big problem due to evince)
>
> - WMWare Player/Workstation with a 32 bit guest operating system (this
> is a bit serious shortcoming)
>
> - Skype (ops ! :( )
>
> So, one should consider, before removing 32bit packages, if possible to
> work without these softwares.

Agreed.

> Now, the question: what is the *minimum* number of the ?86 libraries one
> should install to get them working again ? :)

Which is the point of the new yum behavior and yum-basearchonly.  They
allow .i386 dependencies to be resolved and installed, but by default
don't install unneeded i386 packages (therefore you have the minimum
number of ?86 libraries installed necessary for your i386
applications).

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux