problem with permissions of usb key

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Feb 14 22:01:13 UTC 2008

Tom Holroyd wrote, On 02/14/2008 02:31 PM:
> On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 11:03 -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:
>> the normal F8 udev/hald rules should mount the [v]fat file system from the
>> device as either
>> drwxr-xr-x # user  usergroup dirsize 1970-01-01 time /media/KINGSTON
>> or
>> drwx------ # user  usergroup dirsize 1970-01-01 time /media/KINGSTON
>>
>> So the only other thing left to look at AFAIK is the udev/hald rules.
>
>> elaborate enough?
>
> Not really. I had already gotten that far. What I want to know is, how
> does one look at/change the udev/hald rules?

Note: I have yet to actually edit any of these, so it is possible the
following information should come with the disclaimer "WARNING: here be
dragons". :)

ls /etc/udev/rules.d
ls /etc/hal

granted I do need to eventually figure out how to edit them, as I want
removable devices (USB sticks, CD/DVDs, floppies) to be mounted noexec.
[had it figured out on FC4 with hal, just have not figured it out with the
udev setup yet]

> Dr. Tom
> --
> O heaven above me! You pure, you lofty heaven! This is now your purity
> to me, that there is no eternal reason-spider and reason-cobweb: That
> you are to me a dancing-floor for divine chances, that you are to me a
> table of the Gods, for divine dice and dice-players! Thus spoke
> Zarathustra.

Cool never read Zarathustra's quote before.

--
Todd Denniston