A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Fri Feb 15 01:35:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 22:13 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2008 18:01, Mark C. Allman wrote:

> > > Thanks for the reply Frank. I was hoping that you would say that your
> > > card was also an isa one, and would tie it in with Aarons problems.
> > >
> > > It's nice to see that both of you have resolved the problem, but what's
> > > going on to cause these problems is beyond me.
> > >
> > > As you see from what I posted above, my audigy2 soundblaster was detected
> > > ok, and apart from disabling pulseaudio by removing
> > > alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, and adding the usual lines to /etc/modprobe.conf
> > > for my usb midi keyboard that uses snd-usb-audio, the sounds are working
> > > ok.
> > >
> > > Anyway, the fact that both you and Aaron now have sounds is the main
> > > thing. Quite why you've both had problems, and me none, I've no idea.
> > > That's computers for you.
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> >
> Mark says:
> > When I run the "alsa-info.sh" script I see an error message when it
> > tries to collect the data that says something like "no soundcard found."
> > I think it's the same error that I see when I run aplay to list out
> > cards:
> >     [mcallman at prez tmp]$ aplay -l
> >     aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...
> >
> > Also, when I look at the script results, I see the following at about
> > line 65 (this is after I tried "model=toshiba" in modprobe.conf even
> > though my laptop is a Dell XPS 1710):
> >     Loaded sound module option
> >     --------------------------
> >     Module: snd_hda_intel
> >     enable : N
> >     id : <NULL>
> >     index : 0
> >     model : toshiba
> >     position_fix : 0
> >     power_save : 0
> >     power_save_controller : Y
> >     probe_mask : -1
> >     single_cmd : N
> >
> > Could the "enable: N" line be the key here?  For those of you that have
> > sound working, what do you see listed for "enable?"
> >
> > If it helps, you can look at all the test results that the script
> > uploaded at:
> >     http://pastebin.ca/903970
> >

> > -- Mark C. Allman, PMP
>

> Hi Mark. I've sort of lost the plot a bit, but do you have your sound working
> now?
>
> I ask because the Alsa development folks are working hard on resolving
> problems, particularly with the hda intel cards. Alsa driver 1.0.16 has just
> been released, and I see many patches being applied to the hda intel codecs,
> including your STAC9200 one.
>
> Nigel.

Sound works using:
    Pidgin
    VLC (playing Rush/Tom Sawyer right now)
    RealAudio

It does not work for:
    gnome-cd (won't start a track)
    grip (starts reading tracks, but no sound)
    aplay/arecord ("no soundcard found")
    Flash in Firefox
    system-config-soundcard (everything's there--just no sound!!)

I can pipe a ".au" file (if I remember the extension correctly)
to /dev/audio and I hear it.

Some "/proc/asound" stuff:
    [mcallman at prez X11]$ ls /proc/asound/
    card0 cards devices hwdep Intel modules oss pcm seq timers version
    [mcallman at prez X11]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
     0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                          HDA Intel at 0xdfffc000 irq 21
    [mcallman at prez X11]$ ls /proc/asound/card0
    codec#0  codec#1  id  oss_mixer  pcm0c  pcm0p  pcm1p
    [mcallman at prez X11]$ cat /proc/asound/pcm
    00-01: STAC92xx Digital : STAC92xx Digital : playback 1
    00-00: STAC92xx Analog : STAC92xx Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
    [mcallman at prez X11]$ cat /proc/asound/modules
    0 snd_hda_intel
    [mcallman at prez X11]$ cat /proc/asound/devices
      2:        : timer
      3:        : sequencer
      4: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
      5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
      6: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
      7: [ 0- 1]: hardware dependent
      8: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
      9: [ 0]   : control
    [mcallman at prez X11]$ ls -ld /proc/asound/Intel
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2008-02-14 20:18 /proc/asound/Intel ->
card0

Any suggestions would be welcome.  If any of the Alsa development folks
would like a test bed to try out ideas just let me know.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution