Gnome/X window open delay question

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Fri Feb 15 17:13:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 10:53 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 11:39 -0500, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> > I use my laptop (Dell XPS 1710, running F8) at different sites, hooking
> > in to various networks.  So, for example:
> > 1.  I'll boot my laptop at home and connect to my wireless network
> >     there, then hibernate when I pack up to head to a client site.
> > 2.  I'll resume at a client site, bring up (for example) a wireless
> >     connection, and resume working.
> >
> > When I open an app like gedit, if I'm on the network where I booted the
> > system then the window opens right away, but if I'm using another
> > network the window opens but takes about 25 to 30 seconds.  DISPLAY is
> > set to ":0.0."
>
> DNS issue maybe going from one network to another?  Maybe slow
> initially, then faster as it caches or gets rid of the older cached dns
> stuff and takes on new updated one?  Is network stuff slow, such as a
> ping or anything initially as well?
>

> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY
>
> "The best lil town on Earth!"

I always experience the delay when working at a different site than where I
booted up.  If, say, I started up my system at home, then when I return home
it'll work like a charm again and when I'm at another location the windows
will open but with a delay.  The network connections work just fine--no delays
at any location.

I'm just looking for suggestions on what to dig into.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution