Gnome/X window open delay question

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Feb 15 18:51:00 UTC 2008

Mark C. Allman wrote:
> I use my laptop (Dell XPS 1710, running F8) at different sites, hooking
> in to various networks.  So, for example:
> 1.  I'll boot my laptop at home and connect to my wireless network
>     there, then hibernate when I pack up to head to a client site.
> 2.  I'll resume at a client site, bring up (for example) a wireless
>     connection, and resume working.
>
> When I open an app like gedit, if I'm on the network where I booted the
> system then the window opens right away, but if I'm using another
> network the window opens but takes about 25 to 30 seconds.  DISPLAY is
> set to ":0.0."
>
> It sounds like a timeout issue.  Can anyone shed some light on how to
> track this down?
>
> -- Mark C. Allman, PMP
> -- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
> -- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
>
> BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution

Very like a 'services' issue, such as:

Quota check on a non available file system:
PATH check on a non available file system
Font check on a non existent font server

Any number of 'personalized' options that run great at one site will
need to time out at another site, because that service is simply not there.

I would examine your profile, and services used at 'home' compared to
what is available or not available elsewhere.

For instance, my wife leaves 'shares' mounted at work and at home that
don't exist at the other site.  This causes things to open slowly for
her the first attempt, but after that initial time out, all is good.

Good luck!