slow (s-l-o-w) install

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 16 06:00:03 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:22:51 -0600
> From: theatre at sasktel.net
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: slow (s-l-o-w) install
>
> One of my computers folded its tent.  I usually use that as an excuse to
> upgrade so I purchased a new Intel dual-core machine with 4gb of ram and a
> 500gb hard drive.
>
> Now I'm trying to install F8/x86_64 on it, and the installer is running
> amazingly slowly.  It took about ten minutes before the initial graphical
> screen showed up, and things have been running amazingly slowly ever since.  It
> has been running for about 90 minutes now and I've just finished answering the
> questions, the disk has finally formatted and I have now arrived at the
> "Starting install process. This may take several minutes" screen.  I guess that
> means this will finish installing but at this rate it may take all night.
>
> What's holding up the parade?
>
> --
>
> --

I had the same problem on my laptop after it came back from warranty repair. Its a pentium M 1.7Ghz with 2Gb Ram. I posted here but got no reply whatsoever, and I ended up installing using the text mode. It would take forever to get to the install, and then wouldn't get to the graphical install at all- I waited for hours but no go. In text mode at least I wasn't waiting for the graphical install to never start... Once in text mode however, it took the usual time to install. Just need to set the default runlevel to 5 when you're finished.