List stats redone

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 16 08:27:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 01:08 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> you just need legislation that sending spam is illegal and that those
> sending it will be held responsible.

It's certainly true that you need to make it illegal to be able to stop
it.  It gives someone the right to stop it, then.  That's needed before
technical measures even come into play.  Unfortunately, our idiot
government did a half-arsed law that deliberately left open loopholes.

If I'd had a hand in writing such a law, I would have made it 100%
illegal to spam any address with the word "nospam" anywhere in it.  It'd
be a 100% statement about the recipient doesn't want it, that would
incur inescapable penalties for disobeying (big fines, permanent
confiscation of equipment and data, deregistering and closing of
businesses, bankrupting of personnel, etc., whatever it takes to
permanently shut the business of spamming down).

That, an easy "I don't want it" identifier, would have eliminated a grey
area of making decisions for people whether or not they wanted spam.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.