slow (s-l-o-w) install

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Feb 16 22:41:04 UTC 2008

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:09:28 -0500
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>

>> It's a known limitation of some BIOS versions. I suspect it would happen
>> with that other O/S as well, actually.
>>

> Is there any way to deal with it, other than telling the machine to use 2GB of
> ram or less?  I would like to use all 4GB, if I can.
>
> I have already updated the bios to the latest version available, dated January
> 29.

I don't think the install will run a bit faster for using more memory,
while it will run tons slower if you don't run cache. Since this is a
one-time thing during install, I don't see any reason to avoid it. After
install you can look at MTRR adjustments to allow all 4GB during normal
operation.

Assuming your hardware supports it, of course.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still