Fedora Unity release

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 15:35:40 UTC 2008

Bill Davidsen wrote:
| Tom Horsley wrote:
|> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:55:55 -0500
|> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
|>
|>> That's my read on it, when a release first comes out the servers get
|>> hammered harder with jigdo than bittorrent. The sole advantage of
|>> jigdo is use of protocols which are more likely to be permitted
|>> through firewalls, and conceptually allowing a server to have only
|>> part of the larger image taking up disk space. I doubt that any
|>> machine which can't hold the whole image should be a server anyway,
|>> that's just my take on it, opinion rather than fact.
|>
|> Yep. I think jigdo will be ready for prime time when it can use
|> bittorrent as a download protocol, and all users who chose to do
|> so can seed the rpms they already have downloaded and cached on
|> their machine. That gets the advantages of both, and since "popular"
|> rpms are (by the definition of popular) installed on more machines,
|> the rpms in the greatest demand will also have the greatest supply
|> of torrent servers, thus giving the best of both worlds (and no, I'm
|> not volunteering to do any of the work to make this happen - this
|> is just my fantasy :-).
|>
| I share it. Even if the servers just offered bittorrent for the whole
| image download and then used jigdo for image to image upgrades it would
| make things better for the servers, less load when something new comes out.

It appears that none of you in this thread understands just how jigdo
really works.

1: The Fedora-Unity site only offers the new iso template and
configuration files to run this particular jigdo. They do *not* provide
any of the rpm packages.

2: You, *if* you have a set of CDs or a DVD, offer the packages that have
not been updated from them, and they are copied and placed into the new
iso template.

3: The packages that *have* been updated are downloaded using the same
mirrors that the regular Fedora updates come from and are placed into the
iso template.

4: When jigdo finishes you have a shiny new DVD iso or a set of CD isos
with unchanged packages, provided by you, and the changed packages
provided by the Fedora mirrors.

Not at all like bittorrent. More like rsync.

This system was not intended to download a whole DVD or set of CDs. It
makes updated media.

For me? A DVD takes, depends, one and one-half to 2 hours. CDs about
twenty minutes. Bittorrent takes forever.  ;-)

- --

~  David