samba remote share feature is broken in F8

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Feb 17 15:57:22 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> I have tried solving this issue on fedoraforum.org and fedora-user
> lists without sucess.
>
> This the case:
> * samba mount points are defined in /etc/fstab
> * on bootup they aren't mounted because networkmanager is started too
> late in init process (in Gnome actually)
> * if you mount samba shares manually or by starting netfs service then
> it works
> * unmounting samba shares doesn't work during reboot and shutdown
> because NetworkManager service is killed much earlier that netfs
> service

It sounds like you are always connected to the same network. If so,
especially if you are using Ethernet, you would be better off using
the network service instead of the NetworkManager service to bring
up the network. You can change this using the System -->
Administration --> Services menu entry.

As a quick check to see if this will work for you, you can boot to
run level 3 instead of run level 5. At run level 3, the network
service is used.

Mikkel