video interference?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Feb 17 18:10:39 UTC 2008

Hi;

Man Oh Man.  I was contemplating buying a new monitor until your posting
showed up.  I have exactly the same problem.  I started about 10 days
ago on a 5 year old 19" CRT Compaq V90 monitor that has never given me
problems before.

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 10:39 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I'm starting to think I have a different problem with this computer, that's not
> operating-system related.
>
> I occasionally have slowly-moving horizontal lines on my monitor that show up
> on the lighter coloured parts of my screen and travel upward.  It seems to come
> and go, and looks for all the world like electrical interference.  The lines are
> very small, maybe 15 per inch, and are mostly visible on the top half of the
> monitor.  On a smaller monitor I might not even notice them, but on this 22"
> wide screen monitor it's distracting.
>
> I moved the computer further away from the monitor and changed its orientation
> but that didn't change anything.  I also tried plugging the monitor and
> computer into different/separate electrical circuits and tried it without my UPS
> as well.
>
> Is there anything else I should be trying?  I'm running out of ideas.
>
> --

Your post has given me hope that I can adjust this problem.

Just to compare notes:

1) The interference lines (exactly as you describe) started about 10 -
14 days ago,
2) They appear in both Fedora 8 and WindowsXP (I have a dual boot)
3) They are accompanied by an interference noise coming from the monitor
-- but only when the screen is not blank (black)
4) I have tried to adjust the monitor buttons to no affect
5) I have looked for a new BIOS download for:
        M2NPV-VM Asus motherboard
        M2NPV-VM ACPI BIOS Revision 1001
        Chipset: C51PV-MCP51, 06/21/2007
        BIOS Type Award
        BIOS size 512

        I have only found a BIOS revision 1201 at the ASUS.com site and
        I am not sure whether this is applicable or worth exploring
        further.

6) I have not yet tried the monitor on a different machine that I have
here (Ubuntu)

Frank, if you have any additional suggestions I would appreciate hearing
them.  A new good monitor would cost about $300 and if the problem is
elsewhere (like needing to update my BIOS) that would be a complete
waste of money.

--
Regards Bill