samba remote share feature is broken in F8

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Feb 17 20:28:39 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> 2008/2/17 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:
>> It sounds like you are always connected to the same network. If so,
>> especially if you are using Ethernet, you would be better off using
>> the network service instead of the NetworkManager service to bring
>> up the network. You can change this using the System -->
>> Administration --> Services menu entry.
>>
>> As a quick check to see if this will work for you, you can boot to
>> run level 3 instead of run level 5. At run level 3, the network
>> service is used.
>>
>> Mikkel
>> --
>
> I move around quite a lot, and use different lan and wireless
> networks. I need NetworkManager service because of it's easy to use
> wireless feature. When I'm at home there I connect to my samba shares
> but it would be painfull to switch all the time between network
> service and NM service :(
>
> Is there any way to fix this?

One way would be to configure run level 4 for home use, and run
level 5 for use on the road. You could then have two entries in your
grub.conf - one for normal run level 5 boot, and one for run level 4
use. You would have to use chkconfig to have the proper services
running at the correct levels.

Another possibility, but one I have no experience with, would be to
have NetworkManagerDispatcher run a script that mounts the Samba
shares when you connect to your home network, and unmounts them as
part of the shutdown process. This has the advantage of making the
change without rebooting or running telinit as root. But I am not
sure exactly how to do it... I suspect that you can have it run one
script when connecting to a specific network, and another when
disconnecting from it.

Mikkel