USB external hard drive disconnecting

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Feb 18 00:51:24 UTC 2008

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
> Hi.  I bought an external USB hard drive last week and reformatted it
> as ext3.  I can mount it and read/write files, but for some reason it
> periodically disconnects and reconnects.  I would like to use it as
> permanent storage, hooked up to my computer all the time.  I added a
> label to it and put a line in fstab to mount it.  But I'm getting
> lines like these in my /var/log/messages:
>
> Feb  5 00:07:05 pigpen kernel: usb 1-7: USB disconnect, address 4
> Feb  5 00:07:06 pigpen kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
> Feb  5 00:07:06 pigpen kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sdd1):
> ext3_find_entry: reading directory #2 offset 0
> Feb  5 00:07:06 pigpen kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
> (and more...)
>
> It's then quickly found again, though assigned sde1 in this case and
> of course not automatically mounted.  I'm assuming the filesystem also
> requires an e2fsck because it was disconnected.
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing this?  Is it likely a hardware
> issue?  I have another external drive that I've been using without
> problems for about a year, but it's firewire.  Previously, I was using
> both drives with autofs, but the new drive had some problems with that
> approach, too.  (Now that I've learned about filesystem labels, that
> seems like the way to go anyway.)

I apologize for missing this earlier, if this is a FreeAgent or similar
drive, the drive goes to sleep, the interface shuts down, and comes back
up with part as USB 1.1 and part as 2.0 (I may be describing this
poorly, it's been a while). Anyway, help is here, plug in the drive and
run the attached script (if the mailer doesn't eat it). If the drive
plugs in as sdf (mine does) run "FixFreeAgent sdf" and the problem
should go away.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>