F8 - change video card?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 01:56:19 UTC 2008

Frank Cox wrote:
> I was just thinking....
>
> In the event that I have to change from the integrated Intel video chipset on
> this motherboard and start using a separate video card to obtain DVI output,
> will Fedora 8 automatically detect and make the necessary change?
>
> If, for example, I put in an ATI card, will everything "just work", or will I
> have to do a bunch of setup and changes?  Since I don't really have a whole lot
> of material on this computer yet (I haven't really finished setting it up
> completely yet) perhaps it would be simplest to just to a complete reinstall?
>
> Or will everything just keep on clicking along without any grief?

When I change had disks from one computer to another, the video and
Ethernet both need reconfigured. I assume since you are just adding
another videocard, dropping to runlevel 3 and logging in as root and
running 'system-config-display --reconfig' should setup the videocard
properly for you.
Reinstalling the whole OS should not be needed.

Jim